Frequently asked questions about studies

Last changed: 08 January 2024

Prepare for university studies

Distance studies


Can I take a master's programme or course at distance?

Answer: The only distance master's degree programme at SLU is Outdoor Environments for Health and Wellbeing.

If you want to find out which courses are given as distance courses, you can filter your search by ticking the box 'Distance courses only' at However, please note that distance courses often contain several compulsory meetings on campus.

Freestanding courses


Can I apply for freestanding courses at SLU?

Answer: Yes, many of the courses within our programmes are also offered as freestanding courses. Most courses at master's level are taught in English, and most courses at bachelor's level are taught in Swedish. You can find all our courses in the course database, along with information about the language of instruction and whether the course is open to non-programme students.

To narrow your search and only show freestanding courses, please select 'Freestanding courses' in the courses list box.

Can I apply for freestanding courses in animal science, equine studies, veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine at SLU?

Answer: No courses in equine studies, veterinary nursing or veterinary medicine are offered as freestanding courses. Only a few courses in animal science are offered as freestanding courses.

Financial aid for studies


Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

Answer: Scholarships are available for fee-paying students admitted to master's programmes. The scholarships are awarded by both SLU and the Swedish Institute (SI).

Scholarships offered by SLU

The SLU scholarships are offered to students applying, in time, for a two-year master's programme as their first choice at

All students applying for a master's programme in time (17 January the latest), with a SLU programme as their first choice, will receive information about how to apply for a scholarship. Remember to apply in time. You'll receive the necessary information about the SLU scholarships around 20 January, and the deadline for applying for a scholarship will be at the beginning of February. A scholarship offered by SLU only covers tuition fees. It is very important that your application for a scholarship is complete.

Scholarships offered by the Swedish Institute

Scholarships awarded by the Swedish Institute cover both tuition fees and living expenses. There is a number of different scholarships available depending onyour background.

To read more about scholarships from the Swedish Institute, please visit:

If there are any new scholarship announcements (in swedish), you will find them on the student web.


What about accommodation?

Answer: Read our information on student housing on SLU campuses.

To work and study at the same time

I wish to work and study at the same time, is that possible?

Answer: All of the SLU master programmes, except Outdoor Environments for Health and Well-being, are full-time programmes. This implies that you, as a student on a SLU programme, are enrolled in full-time studies which don't leave much time for other activities such as a full-time job.

You need to check carefully which lectures and course components are compulsory, and carefully plan the independent study time before you decide to take on a part-time job.

Finding and getting a part-time job in Sweden can be quite difficult. Many students are looking for part-time jobs, which means that the demand exceeds the supply. Most employers also require Swedish language skills. With this in mind, it is not recommended to try to finance your stay in Sweden by working. Make sure you can cover your living expenses using other resources. If you do wish to look for a job, we recommend that you begin your search at Arbetsförmedlingen (the Swedish public employment service). Visit their website, call their customer service or visit the local Arbetsförmedlingen office

Schedule and course literature

Where can I find the course schedule and reading list?

Answer: You can find your course schedule and reading list on the course web, which you access from the student web. Find your course through SLU's course database or through the course schedule.

A preliminary reading list and schedule will be available approximately 8 weeks before the course starts. In case they're not available in due time, please contact the course team.

Application and admission

Entry requirements

Do I meet the entry requirements?

Answer: To be able to study at a Swedish university you must meet the general entry requirements. For a specific programme or single course, you may also have to meet specific entry requirements.

  • General entry requirements for bachelor´s level. You should successfully have completed your upper secondary (high school) education and you need documented proficiency in English and basic knowledge in mathematics. Read more about bachelor's level entry requirements at All bachelor's degree programmes and most bachelor-level courses at SLU, are only offered in Swedish. To apply for these, you need documented proficiency in Swedish.
  • General entry requirements for programmes at master's level. You must have been awarded a bachelor's degree, and you need documented proficiency in English. Read more about entry requirements at
  • Specific entry requirements. In addition to the general entry requirements. You may have to meet specific entry requirements for the course or programme. These specific requirements are outlined in the individual course and programme descriptions on our website. All courses at master's level require previous university studies, either general studies or studies within a specific subject.

You will find specific entry requirements for all our master's programmes in the programme descriptions on our website. All our courses, and their specific entry requirements, are presented in our course database.

How do I meet the English language requirements?

Answer: Most of the courses and programmes at SLU require the equivalent of English 6 or English course B. You can meet these requirements through certain courses in English at upper secondary (high school) level, certain university studies or internationally approved English tests. More information on how to meet the English language requirements can be found on

How do I demonstrate that I meet the Swedish language requirements?

Answer: You can demonstrate your Swedish eligibility though the courses Swedish 1, 2, 3, or Swedish for foreigners 1, 2, 3, or the Tisus-test.


Who has to pay application and tuition fees?

All citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, who study at a Swedish university, and who do not have any other kind of residence permit in Sweden other than a residence permit for studies, will need to pay application and tuition fees.

Formal exchange students and doctoral students are exempted from tuition fees, as well as the application fee. Students who are registered on a course or programme at a Swedish university at the time they submit their application are not required to pay an application fee.

You can read more about fees here and at

Cost of living

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. You should not count on being able to live on less than SEK 9,450 per month, which is the minimum amount stated by the Swedish Migration Agency. This sum is also slightly less than what Swedish students live on. Therefore, before you leave home, make sure that you will be able to finance your stay. It will save you a great deal of unnecessary stress and contribute to a much more enjoyable study experience in Sweden.

For more information about living costs visit Study in Sweden.


When and how do I apply for courses and programmes? 

Answer: You apply for all courses and undergraduate and Master’s programmes at The website also has information on important dates for the course or programme you are applying for. On SLU’s admission pages, you’ll find more information on important dates.

All degree programmes at SLU, undergraduate and Master’s, start in the autumn semester. No programmes start in the spring semester. Our foundation semester only starts in spring.

For many of our courses and programmes, you can submit a late application after the deadline for applications. You will find more information on late applications at

How many courses and programmes can I apply for?

Answer: You can apply for a maximum of 12 courses/programmes for the autumn and spring semesters, and a maximum of 6 summer courses. When the second admission decision is published, this increases from 12 to 20 for the autumn and spring semesters. For summer courses, it increases from 6 to 10. This is when you can add late applications if you want to.

Full-time study means that you take 30 credits per semester. You can be admitted to a maximum of 45 credits per semester (autumn and spring) in the first admission round. This means that it is possible to study more than full-time. For summer courses, you can be admitted to courses corresponding to a maximum of 23 credits.

Does it matter in what order I list the courses/programmes I apply for?

Answer: Yes, the order is important. Rank your selections by putting your prioritised programme/course at the top. You will be admitted starting from the top of your priority list, and once you have been admitted to courses corresponding to 45 credits, any further courses you have applied for will be ignored. A full-time degree programme corresponds to 30 credits. You will find more information under Rank your selections at

Can I change the order of my selection?

Answer: Yes, you can change the order up until the closing date for applications. Once applications are closed, you can still change your ranking by removing courses/programmes from your selection. You can remove courses and programmes from your application up until 3 working days before the first admission decision is published.

If you choose to add a new course or programme, or change the ranking in your application, this will count as a late application. If you apply for a course after the application deadline, you can only be admitted if there are places left once those who applied before the deadline have been offered a place. 

I forgot to apply before the deadline. How will this affect my chances of being admitted?

Answer: If you fulfil the eligibility requirements and there are places left, you may be offered a place even if the deadline for applications has passed. Just because a course or programme is open for late applications does not necessarily mean that there are places left. Late applications are processed in the order they are submitted. For more information, see

What happens if I forget to reply and accept my offer of a place?

Answer: If you forget to reply and accept the offer of a place in your admission decision, your application will be cancelled. If the course or programme is still open for late applications, you can re-apply on Your application will then be processed as a late application.

My application has been cancelled because I didn’t fulfil the eligibility requirements. What do I do now?

Answer: If your application for a course or programme has been cancelled because you didn’t fulfil the requirements, but that has since changed, you can, in some cases, re-apply for the course or programme. This is only possible if the course or programme is open for late applications. You cannot re-apply yourself. Instead, contact or the SLU Admissions Unit.

I’m on the waiting list for a course or programme. How do I know if I’ll be admitted and when will I find out? 

Answer: If you’re on the waiting list for a programme and are offered a place, we’ll inform you via email. You then have 24 hours to reply if you want to keep your place. Admission from the waiting list will start after the second round and for most programmes, it continues up to 2 weeks after the programme has started.

Admitting applicants from the waiting list is done by the department running the course. If you want to enquire about your chances of being admitted from the waiting list, contact the course coordinator or the course administrator for the course. You’ll find contact details on the course page on the web.

NB. Admission from the waiting list is done in strict order of application. For more information, read about waiting list admission at SLU.

I’m on the waiting list for a course or programme. Can I attend the roll call and get someone else’s place if they don’t show up?

Answer: Admission from the waiting list is done in strict order of application. You cannot be admitted by attending the roll call. There is consequently no point in attending the roll call if you haven’t been admitted.

For more information, read about waiting list admission at SLU.

Can I take more than 45 credits during a semester?

Answer: You can be admitted to a maximum of 45 credits per semester (autumn and spring) in the first admission round, which means you can do more than full-time studies. Full-time studies are 30 credits per semester. It may be possible to be admitted to more credits per semester during the first admission round. You have to apply for this, there must be special reasons and you must be assessed as able to manage a higher pace of study. You must apply for this no later than the closing date for applications. Send your application to the SLU Admissions Unit.

If you apply after the deadline for applications and there are free places, you can be admitted even if you’ve already been admitted to 45 credits. 

Admission and selection criteria


Can I apply even if I don't meet the requirements?

Answer: Yes, if you know that you will meet the requirements by the time the master's degree programme or the course starts. If you apply in time, and you don't meet all the requirements by that time, but the SLU Admissions Office can see that there is a possibility you will meet the requirements by the time the course or programme starts, you can be conditionally admitted.

How does the selection work?

Answer: If there are more applicants who meet the entry requirements for a course or a programme than there are places, a selection must be made from among the applicants. This selection is based on e.g. grades from adult education college, the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test and credits, and it's possible to belong to several selection groups. Only the credits you have completed by the deadline for application are considered when the selection is made. If two or more applicants for a particular option have the same merit rating, the places will be awarded by the drawing of lots.

If a course is offered both as part of a programme and as a freestanding course, at least ten per cent of the places will be reserved for applicants for the freestanding course.

Late application for a course or programme follows the same procedure as a regular application. If you make a late application, you will be placed after those who applied by the deadline. Your application will then be ranked by the date on which it was received.

You can find out more about the allocation of places and the selection process at and in SLU's admission regulations.

Residence permit

How do I apply for a residence permit for studies at SLU?

If you will study at SLU for more than 3 months and you are NOT an EU/EES citizen, you will need a residence permit. Please follow the steps below. You can read more on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Step 1: Before you can apply for a residence permit you have to pay the tuition fee to SLU. If you are not an EU citizen, you will be required to pay tuition fees, and proof of payment is required for your residence permit application. If you will receive a scholarship, you are required to send a certificate of the scholarship which proves your tuition fees will be covered.

Step 2: Go to Migrationsverket's website.

Step 3: Ensure you have all of the following documents, which you will need to upload as part of your application for a residence permit:

A copy of your passport (which must be valid during the time which you will live in Sweden) A letter of acceptance to a full-time study program at SLU Bank statements which prove you will be able to support yourself during your study period, or scholarship*Proof of a comprehensive insurance policy.

*The maintenance requirement is at least SEK 9,450 per month. Your bank statements must show that you have secured at least this amount of money through your own bank assets, grants, or scholarships for the entire period of your studies. If you will study for more than one year, you need to show your maintenance is secured for 10 months of the year. In addition, the bank statement must show that you can cover the remaining tuition fees. 

Step 4: Fill out the application online. Once you begin your application, your data will only save for 48 hours before it is erased and you have to start again, so make sure you have all documents ready to upload when you begin.

Step 5: Pay the application fee of 900 SEK, payable online with either Visa or MasterCard.

Once you have completed the steps and submitted your application, it normally takes between 3-4 months for a decision, so be sure to apply early. It is possible they might contact you before the decision is reached for further information. The decision will be reached faster if they do not ask you for further information.

Student cards


How do I get the SLU student access card?

Answer: All students can receive an access card that will, among other things, give access to, computer labs. The card is also connected to the university printers. You can pick up your access card the day after you have been registered in Ladok student. More information about the access cards.

Important information: This card must not to be mistaken for a student card that entitles you to various discounts, nor can it be used to prove that you are a student. It is only an access card for the buildings on campus.

How do I get the SLU student union card?

Answer: The student union card is a benefits card which you are entitled to as a member of a student union. The card will be sent to your registered address. The card is issued by either Mecenat or Studentkortet. Both are proof of being an active student, but the conditions might differ.

Visit your student union's web page for more information.

How do I get the Mecenat card?

Answer: Joining the student union is the easiest way to get the Mecenat card. If you want to join or are already a member of a student union at SLU, contact them for help getting your Mecenat card, as all student union members receive the card automatically. If you are NOT a member of a student union yet, it is easy to apply for the Mecenat card directly on their website. Read further instructions on how to get a Mecenat card on the Checklist for Newly Admitted Students.

Support and service during your studies

Study and career guidance

I'm not sure which programme to choose, can you help?

Answer: Yes! You're welcome to make an appointment with one of our study and career counsellors to discuss your choice of studies and any questions you may have regarding your career. You are entitled to study and career guidance if you're already an SLU student, or thinking about becoming one. All study and career counsellors are bound by the principle of confidentiality.

How do I make an appointment with one of the study and career counsellors?

Answer: You can get in touch with them in several ways – by phone, email through a video call or schedule a in-person meeting at campus Alnarp, Ultuna or Umeå. Book an appointment via the online portal.

Study with disabilities


I have a disability – what kind of support can I get?

Answer: You can receive special educational support if you have a long-term physical or mental disability such as dyslexia, a neuropsychiatric disorder, a chronic disease or are hard of hearing.

In order to receive special educational support you need to apply for it. You must fill in an application form and provide a medical certificate, a dyslexia assessment or other supporting documents.

The support is individually designed through a consultation between you and the contact person on your campus. A number of different kinds of support are available, such as talking books, adapted examinations and note-taking assistance. You can read more about the different kinds of support on the student web.

The most important things to know as a new student


What do I need to know as a new student at SLU?

Answer: As a new student, it can be quite challenging to take in all the important information. There is much to think about, and to help you start your studies in the best way possible, we have prepared a checklist for new students.

Proof of admission, certificate of registration and transcript of records

How do I order a proof of admission, certificate of registration or transcript of records?

Answer: You can print your official proof of admission from You can download a transcript of records and certificate of registration yourself by logging in to the SLU Student web. Click on "Ladok Student" and follow the instructions.

However, if you want to order a signed copy of the documents listed above you can do so by following the instructions on the student web. The official transcript of records will be sent to the address you requested.

At our Service Centre, you can also get help obtaining different documents.

Credit transfer


How to apply for a credit transfer?

Answer: You apply for a credit transfer if you want to include courses from other higher education institutions in your degree. You cannot transfer credits for courses from a bachelor's degree that you have used to qualify for a master's programme, to a master's degree. More information about credit transfer is available on the student web.


How do I apply for my degree?

Answer: You apply for a degree through Ladok Student on the student web. You can apply at any time during the year. Applications are normally processed within 8 weeks but waiting time is often shorter. Processing takes longer after the end of the semester when a lot of students apply.  This is provided that your application is correct, and that all your courses are completed and have been reported in Ladok. SLU only issues digital degree certificates.

How do I know if I meet the qualification requirements for a specific degree?

Answer: It depends on what kind of degree you're applying for. The qualification requirements show what is needed for a specific degree. You can read more about the degrees awarded by SLU on the student web. You can also read about the qualification requirements on the web pages of each programme.


Am I insured during my studies at SLU, and what does the insurance cover?

Answer: Yes, you are insured. All students and doctoral students are covered during their time at SLU by the personal injury insurance for students provided by Kammarkollegiet (the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency). Please note that if you travel abroad as part of a course or independent project, you must take out additional insurance.

If you fall ill

What should I do in case I get sick?  

For emergencies or life-threatening situations: Call 112

112 is an emergency number for emergency assistance when there is danger to life, property or environment. Call 112 if there is a fire or any other situation requiring ambulance, fire or police services. You can speak to an operator both in Swedish and English.

For emergencies regarding health and life, it is also possible to go directly to the accidents and emergencies unit (akutmottagning). Check which A&E unit is the closest to where you live.

For non-emergency health care: Call 1177

If you need advice on your medical condition and cannot decide whether you need to see a doctor or not, call 1177 in order to speak to a qualified nurse. Their services are available all day and the call is free of charge. 1177 services are provided both in Swedish and in English.

As an SLU student, you are also entitled to the services of the Student Health Centre.

If you miss a compulsory component of your course due to illness, it's a good idea to let the course leader know.

You can find more information about what to do in case of illness on the student web.

Study abroad

Study abroad

Can I study abroad as part of an SLU programme?

Answer: Yes, we have agreements with around a hundred universities worldwide. Read more about exchange studies on the student web. Find out where you can go, how to apply and read other exchange students’ stories.


Study and career guidance

You can ask the study and career counsellors about the courses and programmes at SLU and which ones might be right for you. We can also help you towards achieving your future goals, with your study environment, and discuss your career opportunities after graduation.

You may be able to find the answers to your questions about the university and our programmes on the frequently asked questions page about studies at SLU.

Book an appointment
Call or email us to schedule an appointment. We also offer guidance via telephone or online meetings.


+46 18 67 28 00 

Telephone hours:
Monday 10:00–12:00
Tuesday 10:00–12:00
Thursday 13:00–15:00