What study support is available to me?

Last changed: 01 March 2023
Open toolbox with a saw on top. Photo.

If you have applied for and been granted study support for students with disabilities, you can be given different types of help. The support is tailored based on your disability and individual study situation. You will discuss the best type of support for you with one of the coordinators, or the contact person at the smaller SLU campuses.

Read more about the different types of support at SLU in the menus below.

Note-taking assistance

If you find it difficult to take notes whilst you are listening, help is available.

Note-taking assistance is when a coursemate takes notes for you during lectures and other forms of tuition. You will then receive the notes by email or as a hard copy, depending on what you prefer.

You are welcome to suggest a person you would like to be your note-taker, but this must always be agreed with the contact person on campus. The contact person can also help arrange note-taking assistance. A person who assists with taking notes receives payment from the university.

Read more about taking notes for somebody else.

Adapted examination

There are several forms of adapted examination. They may include using computers during exams, being given extra time or sitting written examinations in smaller groups.

The examiner will always decide what is possible for an adapted examination based on the course objectives. Talk to the campus coordinator/contact person about the different adaptations available when you apply for support. The coordinator will then provide recommendations for adaptations.

Read more about what you need to do to receive an adapted examination.

Extra supervision in conjunction with independent work

You can receive extra supervision from a teacher when you carry out independent projects (bachelor’s degree project/degree project). Discuss how the study support can be structured with your contact person on campus.


If you have a mental health problem or a neuropsychiatric condition, you may in some cases be given a mentor who can help you structure and plan your studies. The mentor acts as a discussion partner and can help you concretise and prioritise your study assignments.

The amount of mentor support is about one hour per week. The mentor will receive an hourly payment from the university to compensate them for their work.

Read more about working as a mentor.

Sign-language interpreter, notetaker, deafblind interpreter

If you have a hearing impairment or are deaf, you can receive help from a notetaker, sign language interpreter or deafblind interpreter.

Sign language interpretation is offered only to Swedish sign language.

Submit your application in good time, as it takes time to arrange.

Study support you do not need to apply for


Study with disabilities

If you have questions about studying with disabilities that might affect your studies and how to apply for study support, contact us at ability@slu.se

You can read more about studying with disabilities on the student web.