Who has to pay tuition fees?

Last changed: 08 January 2024

All citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, who study at a Swedish university, and who do not have any other kind of residence permit in Sweden other than a residence permit for studies, will need to pay application and tuition fees.

Tuition fees cover the course or programme you have been admitted to. The fees do not cover accommodation, course literature or general living expenses.

Formal exchange students and doctoral students are exempted from tuition fees, as well as the application fee. Students who are registered on a course or programme at a Swedish university at the time they submit their application are not required to pay an application fee.

You can read more about fees here.

Cost of living

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. You should not count on being able to live on less than SEK 8,568 a month, which is the minimum amount stated by the Swedish Migration Agency. This sum is also slightly less than what Swedish students live on. Therefore, before you leave home, make sure that you will be able to finance your stay. It will save you a great deal of unnecessary stress and contribute to a much more enjoyable study experience in Sweden.

For more information about living costs visit Study in Sweden.



Admissions Office

Ask us about applications and admissions to programmes and courses at SLU. You can email us admissions@slu.se or use the contact form.

If you have questions about tuition fees, email to: tuitionfees@slu.se

+46 18 67 28 00

Telephone hours:
Monday 10:00–12:00
Tuesday 10:00–12:00
Thursday 13:00–15:00