Other international possibilities

Last changed: 03 December 2021

As an SLU student, you have many other possibilities to study abroad. If you don’t want to go on a traditional semester or yearlong exchange, you can take a summer course, just take one course abroad, or write your thesis abroad, for example.

Write your thesis abroad

There are different ways to write your thesis abroad. You can do your degree project during an Erasmus+ or Nordplus exchange if you find a topic and a supervisor yourself, and follow the other rules for those scholarship. The project must be linked to one of SLU’s partner universities, and can be done in conjunction with taking courses at that university.

Many SLU students also choose to do a field study in a developing country as their degree project with an MFS scholarship.

You can also choose to write your thesis at an ELLS university, and get financed by an Erasmus+ scholarship. Read more about doing your Master thesis abroad via ELLS.

Summer and intensive courses abroad

If a longer exchange isn’t suitable for you, a summer or intensive course abroad might be a better option. Summer courses suit those who may not want to study abroad for a whole semester or may be wondering whether studying abroad appeals to them. SLU is a member of various networks which arrange summer courses. You can take a summer course or an intensive/short course at any of SLU’s partner universities, some of which even have scholarships available.

ELLS summer courses

ELLS is a network with seven European universities within Life Science. Every summer, a number of different short summer school courses are run at the various partner universities. Apply via ELLS.

If you take an ELLS summer course, you can apply for a travel grant of EUR 500 irrespective of what country the course is offered (except for courses offered in Sweden).

SLU offers 10 travel grants per academic year. If there are more than 10 applicants, they will be decided by a lottery. A travel scholarship will only be granted once you have been accepted to an ELLS course.

Form for application for travel grant.

Summer courses within the NOVA/BOVA network

NOVA and BOVA are two networks made up of Nordic and Baltic universities which, just like SLU, offer studies in life science. These networks organise short courses lasting between five days and four weeks. The countries in the NOVA/BOVA network are Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

If you go on a NOVA or BOVA course, you can apply for a Nordplus scholarship (more information above). You apply to SLU for the scholarship once you have been accepted on the course. Fill out the Application form and send it to: nordplus@slu.se

Examples of summer courses 2022

Leeds International Summer School (LISS) 2022! 

  • Students can apply directly via online nomination form. The application deadline is 1 May.
  • Travel, study and get social with LISS and make summer 2022 count. Study at the University of Leeds, a world top 100 university, and immerse yourself in British culture by joining our exciting short programme for two or four weeks in July. Find out more at Find our more at the website of Leeds international summer school
  • Earn credit and choose from over 20 academic modules (courses) across a wide range of subject areas:
    • Arts and Humanities
    • Business
    • Engineering and Science
    • Political and Social Sciences 

Summer courses at  Aarhus University

Information about summer courses at Aarhus University.
Application form for Nordplus scholarship
Contact Mobility@slu.se for more information.


SLU has many partner universities within the Nordic countries, who have joined together in a network called NOVA, the Nordic Forestry, Veterinary, and Agricultural University Network.

An exchange within this Nordic network gives you the chance to deepen your studies within a specific subject, or even study something that is perhaps not taught at SLU. You can apply to courses anywhere between a few weeks (like an intensive course) or up to a full academic year, you have a lot of flexibility here!

If you go on an exchange to one of our neighboring countries (Finland, Denmark, Norway, Iceland), you can apply for a Nordplus scholarship, which gives you both a travel grant and a scholarship based on how many weeks/months you are abroad. You apply for the scholarship via the Mobility Team once you have been admitted to a course at another university.

Fill out the Application form and send it to: nordplus@slu.se.

Linnaeus-Palme exchange

Linnaeus-Palme is an exchange program for both teachers and students at bachelor and master level. For students, you can study abroad at a university in developing country for one or two semesters, or do your degree project as part of your Linnaeus-Palme exchange. Linnaeus-Palme projects are arranged and managed by the various SLU departments, who select their own students to participate in these exchanges. The program is financed by Sida, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.

If your department has an ongoing project, contact the program coordinator directly to learn about your options for participating in the exchange.

Offers at SLU:s partner universities

Ghent University, Belgium

As Faculty of Bioscience Engineering (Ghent University, Belgium) we are honoured to have an exchange cooperation agreement with your institution. Especially since it gives both our students the opportunity to enjoy a life-enriching study experience abroad.  

Therefore, we are happy to present some more information and a taste of the Ghent atmosphere for students who might consider Ghent as an exchange destination. Video materials are available too. 

In order to help students decide on their future plans, our exchange team will also host two presentations + Q&A session (MS Teams) on Thursday 16 December

  • Students interested in the morning session (9-10am CET) are invited to leave their e-mail address here
  • Students interested in the evening session (5-6pm CET) are invited to subscribe here.