Software and tools for studies and distance teaching
As a student at SLU, you have access to several digital tools and software for studies and online teaching.
With Zoom, you can study with your classmates over video, for example when you have group work. Zoom will also be used for distance lectures so it is good if you are familiar with the tool.
Please remember to always sign in to Zoom with your SLU account through Single Sign-On (SSO) when you are using Zoom. Type "slu-se" in the SSO box.
How do I get access to Zoom?
If you have an SLU-computer you can find the Zoom-client for PC in Software Center, or if you use Mac you find it in Self Service. If you are a student, you can find it here: studentsharet.
The first time you sign in, you will need to install the Zoom Client on your computer.
The first time you want to invite to your own meeting in ZOOM, you need to activate your Zoom account. You only do this once by following the steps below.
- Go to https://slu-se.zoom.us.
- Select Sign-in
- You will come to the page for the university's joint web login where you log in (Sign In with SSO). You have now activated your Zoom account.
- To use Zoom, you also need to install the client. Go to http://slu-se.zoom.us and select the Download Client option at the bottom of the page.
Zoom the client
- Start the program.
- Zoom client log in Click the Sign in with SSO button.
- Type "slu-se" in the Company Domain.
- Log in with SLU account; your username and password.
- The zoom client looks like below. If you want to start a meeting directly click on "New meeting", or if you want to plan a meeting in advance click on "Schedule".
You should also check your personal settings. In the web browser, you will land on the settings page when you sign in. From the Zoom Client you will reach the settings page under Settings-Advanced Features-Edit My Profile.
Make your Zoom meeting more secure
The Security icon in the meeting controls allows the host or co-host of a meeting to enable or disable options during a meeting to secure the meeting and minimize disruption during the meeting.
- Read more about the In-meeting security options
Help with Zoom
- Zoom Help Center https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us
- Getting started https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200101697
- Audio, Video, Sharing https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/201137166
- Meetings https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/201146643
- Joining a meeting https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Meeting
Canvas learning platform
Canvas is a learning platform consisting of course rooms. Canvas has four features:
- Distributes materials, instructions, links and learning goals.
- Submission of work safely.
- Communication with your teacher and other students in the course.
- Tools for evaluations and examns.
Microsoft Office 365
As a student at SLU you can download and install the Microsoft Office 365 for free. 1TB of storage will allso be included.
This package includes:
- PowerPoint and many other applications.
Office supports PCs and tablet devices with Windows 7 or later, and Mac computers with Mac OS X 10.13 or higher. Office for iPad can be installed on the iPad plates with version 7.0 or higher.
Click here to download the program. Log on with your student identity.
The Adobe suite is available on the campus computers (computer lab and library). To get started read more here. If you are attending a design course you may be eligable to access Adobe from home. Please check with your teacher if this is the case. To install the Adobe suite on your own computer, please read more here.
As student at SLU you are eligible to install Autodesks softwares (e.g. AutoCAD, Revit etc). Visit the link below and click on Get started on the software you want to download.
Create an account with your student email address. You will get an email to verify the account, then you can sign in to download the software. Before the download starts you will get prompted to sign in with your student ID and password to verify license eligibility.
-Select Get certificate
-Select Certificate of Registration
-Check English and click Get
With SLU:s virtual study room you can access applications and personal documents from your own computer, tablet or smartphone.
Other free software
Since everyone does not have the opportunity to come to campus to get help with installing software on their private computers we have created a software share where you can download the software needed for your studies, you reach the share with your SLU e-mailadress and SLU password.
We only provide software that we have campus license for which are allowed to be installed in private computers. Software purchased by individual institutions are not listed on this program share.
There are also some applications specially designed for people with a disability. But some of them work very well for all users.