Checklist for master students

Last changed: 27 March 2018

Below you as a new international master student at SLU find important information that will be useful before arriving to Sweden and while you are here as a student.

1. Before your arrival

Accept your offer

No reply required for First round

If you applied to the First round for the autumn semester you do not need to reply to your offer.

If you decide not to attend the course/programme you've been offered a place in, please be sure to decline your offer. You can do this at Log in to your account, go to 'Applications' and follow the instructions.

Reply required for Second round

If you applied to the Second round autumn, you must reply to your first Notification of Selection Results in order to keep the places you've been offered, or to be placed on the reserve/waiting list for the second selection round.

For the second Notification, you do not need to reply to courses you wish to keep, but should decline those courses you are not planning on attending. This makes those places available for students on the waiting list.

Residence permit for non EU/EES citizen

If you will study at SLU for more than 3 months and you are NOT an EU/EES citizen, you will need a residence permit. 

You apply for a residence permit at Migrationsverket, the Swedish Migration Agency. On their website, you will find a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the first time. Do not apply more than three months before the start of your residence permit period. You can for example apply for the residence permit for studies starting in the autumn semester 2020 at the earliest from the beginning of May. 


SLU guarantees accommodation for exchange students and fee-paying students. Other students need to find their own accommodation.

Once you have been accepted as a student at SLU, it is time to think about accommodation options. Finding an appropriate place to stay can be a time-consuming process.

NB. If you have guaranteed accommodation through SLU, you may have to arrange your own accommodation for the first night if you cannot come during office hours to collect your keys.

Campus Alnarp

Alnarp is close to the two cities Malmö and Lund. It is easy to commute to Campus Alnarp from both Malmö and Lund.

You can also join Studentlund and a student nation (student social club) in Lund. Studentlund membership gives you access to housing, cultural events, social activities, clubs, sports activities and much more.

To join a nation and get your membership you must travel to Lund and visit your chosen nation. Here is how you do it.

Even as a student at SLU (Alnarp) you can apply for student housing in Malmö (University housing is not applicable). Find advice and tips on Malmö University’s webpage.

Campus Ultuna - Uppsala

Start your search for accommodation by visiting SLU's page on accommodation in Uppsala.

If you have not been able to find anywhere to stay, Studentboet organises emergency housing for the autumn semester. At the Studentboet Facebook page you will also find the most recent ads for accommodation in Uppsala.

You can also join a student nation. The nations offer housing, social activities, sports, clubs, cultural events and much more. There are 13 student nations to choose from in Uppsala.

For exchange students and fee-paying students, there are four student accommodations areas.  You will receive your accommodation offer via email from the SLU Housing Office.  You are responsible for picking up the keys from your respective housing office during opening hours.  

Opening hours for the student housing offices in Uppsala:

Lilla Sunnersta


Start your search for accommodation by visiting the SLU accommodation page for Umeå.

Bostaden is Umeå's largest housing company.


Below is information on the different insurances you are covered by as an international student in Sweden. What your insurance covers depends on what student category you belong to, see below what applies to you.

It is important that you address the insurance issue before your travel to Sweden. You may need additional insurance depending on your specific situation. Read more about insurance cover for international students in Sweden.

For more information, and if you have further questions on insurance, please visit Kammarkollegiet's website.

NB. If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, make sure you have a European Health Insurance Card. These are issued by your national health insurance provider.

We also suggest that you visit SLU's web page on insurance. Additional information is available at Study in Sweden.

Students who pay tuition fees and scholarship students

The Swedish state provides an insurance called FAS+ which includes property cover. It is available for citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union/EEA, and for citizens of Switzerland, who are studying an undergraduate or Master's level course or programme in Sweden and pay tuition fees for their studies. This includes scholarship students.

Exchange students

As an international student studying in Sweden you are covered by insurance 24 hours/day. The Personal Injury Insurance covers you while you are on the university's premises. The Student IN insurance is a complement to the Personal Injury Insurance. For more information, see Kammarkollegiet's web.

Free movers and non-fee paying students

As a free mover or non-fee paying student in Sweden, you have free insurance that covers you while you are on the university's premises and during the journey to and from university. This insurance is called GIF group and personal insurance.

Additional insurance is highly recommended.

Cost of living

It is good to be prepared for the cost of living in Sweden. Sweden is a relatively expensive country. Expect living costs to be between SEK 8,000 and 9,000 a month (appr. EUR 850-950 or USD 900-1,000).

Swedish weather

Sweden can have winter temperatures around -30 degrees Celsius, even if this is not common in the southern parts of the country. Summer temperatures can rise to at least +30 degrees Celsius and everything in between.

To have appropriate clothes for every season can be costly. Second-hand shops often offer cheaper alternatives. Mittens, hat, a winter coat/jacket and padded boots are recommended if you are staying for winter. Rain clothes are also very useful even during summertime. Since Sweden is a long country, depending on if you are staying in Umeå, Uppsala or Alnarp, winter temperatures will differ and the spring will arrive later the further north you are.


For students staying in Sweden for less than six months, it is easier to make banking arrangements with your home bank than opening a bank account in Sweden. If you are staying in Sweden more than six months and want to open a bank account, this information is a good start:

Learning Swedish

Are you eager to learn some Swedish before you arrive? Here is a free online introduction course you can join: https://learningswedish.s

You may also apply for a Swedish course for immigrants (SFI) from Hermods for free. Hermods also offer online courses.

2. When you arrive

Travel to your campus

Travel to Uppsala and Campus Ultuna from Arlanda Airport

A cheap and convenient way to reach Uppsala from Arlanda Airport is to take regional bus no 801 from outside Terminal 5 (tickets can be bought at Arlanda). Cash is not accepted on the buses.

You can also travel by train from Arlanda. The trains are faster than the bus but more expensive. There is also the option of taking a taxi. Make sure the taxi company is from Uppsala and not Stockholm as thet will be more costly. You can always pre-book a taxi from Terminal 5 to Campus Ultuna.

You can find travel information and timetables for regional and local buses and trains at the UL web.

At the SJ web, you can search for departures from Arlanda to Uppsala central station and book your trip.

When you have arrived in Uppsala, you can take regional bus number 100 and 101 or local bus number 4 from the station to Campus Ultuna.

You can pay by credit card on the bus, but cash is not accepted. If you are planning on travelling by bus on a regular basis, it is cheaper to buy a bus card (monthly card or a top-up card) than single tickets. You can buy a bus card at Pressbyrån inside the station building. Inside the station, you will also find the travel centre for local buses and trains, UL. Across Kungsgatan (the main street closest to the central station where many local buses leave from), you will find the Uppsala tourist centre.

Travel to Malmö and Campus Alnarp

From Kastrup/Copenhagen Airport, take the Öresund train to Malmö central station. Take bus number 133 from outside Malmö C to Alnarp Kungsgårdsvägen.

From Sturup/Malmö Airport, take the airport bus to Malmö central station. Take bus number 133 from outside Malmö C to Alnarp Kungsgårdsvägen.

Travel to Umeå

Arriving by air Umeå is located 640 kilometres north of Stockholm, so the easiest and fastest way is to fly here. Flights from Stockholm take about 60 minutes and there are several airlines to choose from. SAS and Norwegian fly from Arlanda, the largest airport in Sweden and the airport you often arrive at if you fly to Sweden from abroad. Finnair also has departures with direct flights from Helsinki in Finland. If you book well in advance, you can get a single ticket for about SEK 500.

You can also fly to Umeå via another airport called Bromma with BRA airline. Bromma Airport is about 20 minutes by bus from Stockholm central station.

Once you arrive in Umeå, the airport bus leaves from outside the airport.

Arriving by train The travel time by train from Stockholm varies between 6 and 10 hours depending on the number of train changes and if you choose to take the train from Arlanda Airport or from Stockholm central station.

If you travel by night train, you can choose between a couchette or a sleeping car, where a couchette is a cheaper alternative. If you book well in advance, you can get a single ticket for about SEK 500. An advantage of taking the train is that you arrive in the centre of town and do not need to travel from the airport.

Swedish personal identity number

If you have moved to Sweden from abroad and are planning to live in Sweden for one year or more, you need to be registered in the Swedish Population Register. You will then get a Swedish personal identity number from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). In order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register (folkbokförd) you need to notify Skatteverket that you have moved to Sweden by personally visiting one of our Tax Agency offices (servicekontor). You need a personal identity number to open a bank account and for other important matters. It will also give you access to healthcare in the same way as a permanent Swedish citizen. For more information, including what documents to bring to the tax agency office, please read Skatteverket's information.

You can enter all your personal details in a digital form before your visit to the Tax Agency office. You still need to print out the form and bring to the Tax Agency office, but the digital service generally provides us with more accurate and complete information.

The Swedish population register holds information about everyone living here. The information we have about you forms the base of important decisions that affect your life, such as where you can apply for healthcare, school and child care or if you have succession rights.

After receiving your personal identity number

When you have received your personal identity number, please send an email to This to make sure that your temporary registration number is updated in the SLU database of student records (Ladok).

In the email, please state:

  • Your name
  • Yourr current temporary student registration number listed in Ladok
  • Your new 10-digit Swedish personal identity number
  • Your study programme

How to activate your student IT account

Students without a Swedish personal identity number

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, you will need to visit IT support to activate your account. Please have your ID documents and admission decision with you.

You can get your IT account by mid August the earliest.

Students with a Swedish personal identity number

Once you have received your second admission decision, you can activate your account at SLU. You can do this by mid August the earliest.

Click on New account to activate your user account. You will be redirected to, where you can activate your SLU account using your login details for

Before you get an account, you should read the regulations that apply to the use of IT resources and accept them by checking the box.

If you encounter any problems, please contact IT support at your campus. Please have your ID documents and admission decision with you.

For questions about your IT account, email

Access card

Once you are registered on an SLU course, you will receive an email informing you that you can pick up your access card from the service centre. It can take up to two days from registration before you receive this email.

Check that you are registered as a student before you visit the service centre. You can check if you are registered at Ladok Student from the Student web start page.

When collecting your card, you will need to bring ID and sign a receipt for your access card. You will be given your personal access card, the terms of use, information about how the card works and the PIN for the card. The PIN is generated automatically by the system and cannot be changed.

Mecenat Card (Mecenatkort)

As international students at SLU, you are eligible for a Mecenat card, free of charge. The Mecenat card is a student card which offers many student discounts, including for the public transportation and train companies throughout Sweden. This includes SL, UL, Skånetrafiken, SJ and more. In order to purchase bus/train tickets at the discounted student price, you must have a valid student ID from Sweden which shows the SL/UL logo on it. If you do not have the Mecenat card and you purchase the discounted bus/train tickets, you could be subject to a fine if you get caught by the ticket control.  

Joining the student union is the easiest way to get the Mecenat card.  If you want to join or are already a member of a student union at SLU, contact them for help getting your Mecenat card, as all student union members receive the card automatically. The student unions do not give out the physical cards, instead they use the Mercenatkort mobile app, and they will give you instructions on how to download your card. If you prefer to have a physical card however, you can request one once you have received your digital one. Please see the website of the Student Unions for more information. The digital card is sufficient all over Sweden for discounts, but if you travel abroad, the physical card is often preferred.

If you are NOT a member of a student union yet, it is easy to apply for the Mecenat card directly on their website. The website is only available in Swedish, so here are instructions how to complete the application:

  1. Enter your personal number or temporary personal number provided by SLU in your acceptance letter (format YYMMDDXXXX). If you have a temporary personal number, do not include any spaces or dashes.
  2. Select your education level - Universitet / Högskola i Sverige.
  3. Select SLU as the university.
  4. Select the correct campus.
  5. Choose whether or not you are already a member of the student union. Choose NEJ to order the card directly.
  6. Fill in your personal information, including your address in Sweden where the card can be sent in the mail.

You will need to upload your acceptance letter to SLU with your application, which proves that you have been accepted to your chosen study program and displays the amount of credit points.

**Note about purchasing discounted student bus/train tickets: If you have applied for the Mecenat card and get stopped by the ticket control before you have received your card, you must show them your Acceptance Letter to SLU (or proof of acceptance and registration at SLU). However, this is only a temporary solution, and you MUST have the Mecenat card after one month of beginning your studies at SLU. If you are caught later in the semester/year without the card, you could be subject to a fine.

Service centres

  • Alnarp, Alnarpsgården, Sundsvägen 6
  • Uppsala, Ulls hus, Almas allé 8
  • Umeå: Skogishuset, Skogmarksgränd 17

You can turn to the service centre (see addresses above) at each campus for any questions related to SLU and they will guide you to the right place.

First class and registration

At the first class, you will receive important information about the course and the requirements in relation to examination and grading. If you are unable to make the first class you have to contact the department responsible for the course in advance.

Registration to the course will activate your insurance, student account and is also a must to be able to attend classes.

If you are admitted to a master's programme

If you are admitted to a master's programme, registration will take place during your first class. For the following courses you are usually able to register online one week before the course start.

Online registration will be open in Ladok one week before the course starts. To be able to register online, you need to activate your student IT account first (See above in checklist).

If you are accepted to a freestanding course

If you are accepted to a freestanding course you are usually able to register online. Online registration will be open in Ladok one week before the course starts. To be able to register online, you need to activate your student IT account first (See above in checklist).

If you can't register online

If you can't register online, registration will also be made at the roll call/first lecture.

3. During your time at SLU

Introduction to the IT environment

The Division of IT offers new students a brief introduction to the university's IT environment. The presentation is aimed at new students who wish to gain an understanding of how the IT environment works at SLU. We will talk about user accounts, the student portal e-mail and user folders on the file server, access to computer labs, the printing system, access to the student network and how to connect to the network from home.

SLU Library

If you have any questions about the SLU Library and how it works, please visit their web pages. You may also get help with library issues by booking a librarian.


  • The emergency number for the whole of Sweden is 112. This is the number you phone in case of immediate danger.

As a student, you can turn to the student health centres if you need to see a doctor or a psychiatrist. Read more about what to do in case of illness or crisis.

You will find information about the Swedish healthcare system in the online healthcare guide, 1177.

For non-emergency healthcare questions, you can call the number 1177 and get medical advice and guidance 24/7. Your call will be answered by a nurse who understands English. The website also has information about healthcare in several other languages.

The website Study in Sweden also has information on health insurance and medical care.

If you need anything, do not hesitate to contact us by email or come by during drop-in hours.

4. Before you leave Sweden

What should you do when you are finished with your studies in Sweden?

If you move abroad from Sweden and plan to stay away for a year or longer, you shall no longer be registered in Sweden. In such cases, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency that you are moving abroad at least one week before departure. If you forget to submit the notification on time, you should send it as soon as possible. You will find the form SKV 7665b (Notification, Moving Abroad) for download at Please fill in as much information as possible, as it will ease the handling of your notification.

If you move to another Nordic country

If you move to another Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway), the regulations of that country determine whether you are entered into its population register. You must notify the authorities in the other Nordic country of your move there, and inform the Swedish Tax Agency that you are leaving Sweden. You will be removed from the population register in Sweden once the other Nordic country has decided to register you in its population register.

When do you cease being registered in Sweden?

When you move to another country you cease being registered in Sweden as of the day you move away, as long as you have reported your move no later than on that day. If the notification is received by the Swedish Tax Agency later than that day, you cease to be registered in Sweden as of the day that the Agency received your notification.

What should you do if you return to Sweden after being de-registered?

If you move back to Sweden for further studies, work or other reasons you should again notify the Swedish Tax Agency. You should then use your personal identification number that you received the first time you registered in Sweden.

You can find more information on our website

Page editor: