Questions and answers related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Last changed: 18 September 2023

Here is a list of frequently asked questions for people from Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, or who have studied in Ukraine, and are interested in studying at SLU.

You can also read more about studying in Sweden via Study in, and (in Swedish).

Can Ukrainian students study at SLU?  

Yes, students can apply for our English-language Master’s programmes, and the Bachelor’s programme Forest and Landscape, that will be given over the 2023–2024 academic year. The applications period opens on and runs from 16 October 2023 to 15 January 2024. If your application is successful, you can start studying in the 2024 autumn semester.

You can also apply for freestanding courses beginning in the 2024 spring semester, see the list of the SLU courses. The applications period opens on on 15 September and runs to 16 October 2023.

If you have any questions about your application, the documents you need to submit and how to show you meet the English language requirements, visit or

Ukrainian citizens covered by the Temporary Protection Directive do not have to pay tuition fees.

I am a Ukrainian student. Can I transfer my studies to SLU?  

Contact study guidance ( for advice about courses and programmes, admissions to latter parts of the programme and credit transfers. 

Does SLU offer any Bachelor’s programmes in English?  

We offer one Bachelor’s programme in English – Forest and Landscape. The applications period for the programme start in the 2023 autumn semester opens on and runs from 16 October 2023 to 15 January 2024.

How can I finance my studies at SLU?  

If you are in Sweden under the Temporary Protection Directive, you do not need to pay the national application fee or SLU tuition fees.

As a refugee, you will be given support with accommodation and a daily allowance that permits studies. You are not entitled to Swedish student finance (CSN). CSN, the Swedish Board of Student Finance, is the public authority that organises student finance, i.e. grants and loans for studies.

Which documents do I need to submit? provides information about the documents you will need to submit for courses and Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes. You can also access country-specific information, depending on where you have previously studied.

How do I meet the English language entry requirements?

You can meet the English language entry requirements in several ways. has information about qualifications that are the equivalent of the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.

Does SLU offer scholarships?

No SLU scholarships are available at present. Read more about scholarships and how to apply.

Can I apply to SLU as an exchange student?

Students from the National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine can apply for exchange studies for spring semester 2024. The application deadline is 7 October 2023. If you are a student from another Ukrainian university please e-mail the SLU mobility team (

Can I make a late application for the autumn semester 2023?

On 15 July, the late application round opens for courses and programmes where there might be places left for autumn semester. If you make a late application, please notify the Admissions Office first (

Can students from Belarus and Russia study at SLU?  

Yes, you can apply to courses and programmes at SLU. However, students from Russia and Belarus will not be able to apply for exchange studies as SLU does not currently have exchange agreements with these countries.  

If you would like to study one of our Master’s programmes, you can apply via from 16 October 2023 until 15 January 2024. If your application is successful, you can start studying in the 2024 autumn semester.

I have studied in Ukraine but I am not Ukrainian. I would now like to start studying at SLU. What should I do?

Contact study guidance ( for advice about studies at SLU. Apply for our courses and programmes via where you will also find more information about how to apply.

I started studying a veterinary medicine programme in Ukraine. Can I transfer my studies?

The SLU veterinary medicine programme is only taught in Swedish. Read more (in Swedish) about the veterinary medicine programme. If you are eligible and are admitted to the programme, it may be possible to transfer credits from your previous studies. Contact study guidance ( for information.

Is there a special application process for Ukrainian citizens?

No. All international students, regardless of their previous country of study, must apply via The website also contains information about when to apply for courses and programmes.

How much does studying at SLU cost?

Each programme page has information about the tuition fees under the “Facts & requirements” heading.

If you are in Sweden under the Temporary Protection Directive, you do not need to pay the national application fee or SLU tuition fees.

If you are not included in the Temporary Protection Directive, you will have to pay both application and tuition fees for studies at SLU.  

What about visas?  

The Migration Agency will assess your application for a residence permit. If you have a residence permit for another EU country, you will need to pay tuition fees until you receive a Swedish residence permit for reasons other than studies. 

Visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website for information about visas and residence permits.


Study guidance at SLU

Our study counsellors can provide guidance via video meeting or by phone.
Book a meeting

Telephone: +46 (0)18 67 28 00, Monday 10-12, Tuesday 10-12, Thursday 13-15.

Admissions Office

Ask us about applications and admissions to programmes and courses at SLU. You can email us or use the contact form.

If you have questions about tuition fees, email to:

+46 18 67 28 00

Telephone hours:
Monday 10:00–12:00
Tuesday 10:00–12:00
Thursday 13:00–15:00