Tips for Student health and safety representatives

Last changed: 18 September 2013

The following list of tips has been drawn up as part of SLU’s training for the unions’ student health and safety representatives:

  • Establish contact with your regional working environment committee. You will be invited to the committee’s meetings.
  • The main health and safety representative at your study venue is also a useful contact; find out who they are and introduce yourself.
  • Make yourself known among your fellow students so that they know who to contact when it comes to working environment issues.
  • Make sure you take part in health and safety inspections of the teaching premises.
  • There is a lot of information available online about laws and ordinances; see
  • You have no responsibility for the working/study environment, but you can report shortcomings.
  • The department organising the course (with the prefect as the responsible manager) has primary responsibility for the study environment. Shortcomings in the physical environment should be reported to the course leader and/or prefect.
  • Problems in the psychological working environment can also be reported to the course leader, prefect or programme director of studies if they are a general departmental problem. By all means ask the study advisers and the Student Health Centre for help.
  • Shortcomings in the psychological study environment can also be brought up in the student welfare group at your study venue. The group can help you to monitor the issue.