Statistics I: Basic statistics, 4 hp
The Ph.D. course will be given in Umeå 2 March - 3 April 2020.
Objective, including learning outcomes
The objective of the course is to give an introduction to basic probability theory and statistical inference. On completion of the course, the student will be able to:
• use basic probability concepts and statistical principles
• formulate a problem in statistical terms
• describe common statistical methods including conditions and assumptions
• apply basic statistical methods in scientific research
• select an appropriate statistical method for a given problem
• carry out a basic statistical analysis
• interpret and evaluate results correctly and draw reasonable conclusions
• clearly and concisely communicate results and conclusions
• use statistical software for analysis
The course is built on lectures and computer exercises. The main moments are as follows:
• Descriptive statistics.
• Basic probability theory.
• Probability distributions.
• Statistical inference of means and proportions, one and two samples.
• Nonparametric and resampling methods.
• Analysis of frequency data.
• Sample size determination.