Applying for prior learning assessment is a way to be eligible to study at SLU even if you do not have the formal qualifications, for example if you do not have final upper-secondary school grades. Your knowledge and experience are assessed to determine whether you will be able to pass the course or programme you wish to apply to.
A broader view of knowledge
Prior learning is collected actual expertise regardless of how, when or where it was acquired. SLU assesses your prior learning to determine whether you have the conditions to pass the course or programme you wish to apply to . We do not lower the entry requirements, but it is possible to show that you have acquired the necessary corresponding knowledge in another manner. The assessment is based on the documents you submit in connection with your course or programme application. Assessing prior learning can include both general entry requirements and specific entry requirements.
How is your expertise assessed?
SLU makes a joint assessment of your expertise. In such an assessment, SLU weighs in your knowledge and experience from for example the labour market, association work, studies abroad or longer periods abroad, staff training and/or other activities. Studies in formal education systems which may not make you eligible as such, for example upper-secondary schools or adult education at upper-secondary level, are also taken into consideration.
When applying for an assessment of prior learning, you must describe your experiences, knowledge and skills and submit certificates that confirm them. We will then assess whether your joint expertise is enough to be admitted to the course or programme you applied to. The assessment is carried out by comparing your expertise with the entry requirements related to the course or programme in question.
How to apply for a prior learning assessment:
- Apply to a course and/or programme at universityadmissions.se.
- Fill in the form "Ansökan om bedömning av reell kompetens/att undantag görs" (application for assessment of prior learning) at antagning.se. Please note that the form is only available in Swedish. Print the completed form or print the form and then complete it.
- Write a personal statement describing, in as much detail as possible, the knowledge you feel you have acquired and how it corresponds to the entry requirements in question. Describe how you acquired this knowledge and in what way you feel it will help you pass the course or programme in question.
- Confirm the information with certificates, grades and/or assessments from people who know you well and who can certify your expertise within a specific area, for example a teacher or employer. You can submit work or course certificates or descriptions of your work in associations or other activities.
- More documents you might have to submit:
- if you have received a decision beforehand, you must submit, in connection with your application, a copy of this decision;
- if you have applied to the course or programme in question before and was granted prior learning, you must submit a copy of the admission decision you received then;
- if the previous decision regarded a course or programme which does not correspond to the course or programme you are applying for now, you must submit a new prior learning application.
- Upload documents to Universityadmissions.se no later than the ordinary application deadline. See important dates at Universityadmissions.se. We don't handle late applications for prior learning.
- Send the form "Ansökan om bedömning av reell kompetens/att undantag görs" together with a personal statement or personal estimate form as well as certificates, etc. to:
PostNord Strålfors AB
190 81 Rosersberg
What happens next?
An admissions officer processes your case and makes a joint assessment of your qualifications based on the documents you submitted and qualifications already listed in the admission system. Where applicable, the admissions officer consults a study or career counsellor and/or the department in question. The admissions officer then decides whether your prior learning will be approved.
If you already formally meet the entry requirements for the course or programme in question, your prior learning application will not be considered.
Your admission decision at universityadmissions.se will state if your prior learning has been approved.
If your application is rejected, you have the right to appeal the decision. The admission decision will include information on how to appeal. More information on appeals can be found at universityadmissions.se.
You may need to take the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test
Please note that prior learning does not give you priority over others who applied to the same course or programme. Meeting the entry requirements is often the first step in being admitted to a course or programme. There is often competition over places. Prior learning does not give you a merit rating and does not involve a personal selection group. Therefore, we recommend that those applying for undergraduate studies who lack final upper-secondary school grades take the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test. This allows you to better compete for a place.