Social sustainability of work life, businesses and the society
The course provides an introduction to the concept of social sustainability from different perspectives.
When we discuss social sustainability, lots of questions arise that we want to be able to answer:
• What does social responsibility mean for the individual, the leader, the company and society?
• How much responsibility should we take for future generations and what impact do we have in our company or in our environment?
• What does socially sustainable leadership mean?
• How can we work with social sustainability in companies and organizations?
These and similar questions we will delve into during the course.
Information from the course leader
Kursen ges på distans med schemalagda lektioner. Vill du få ut maximalt av kursen, måste du alltså avsätta tid för egenstudier och för deltagande på gemensamma aktiviteter. Lektionerna kommer att äga rum varannan tisdag kl. 09.15-12.00 med start 2021-08-31, se schemat.https://slunik.slu.se/kursfiler/TN0346/10321.2122/TN0346_Schema_HT_2021.pdf
Notera att distansundervisning innebär undervisning på distans. Det är alltså inte en e-utbildning som du kan utföra när du önskar oberoende av lektionstider.
Hemuppgifter och grupparbete
Under kursen kommer du att göra och lämna in 4 individuella obligatoriska uppgifter. Uppgifterna är baserade på kurslitteraturen, på dina egna erfarenheter och på kompletterande information som du hittar på egen hand.
Du ska också delta i ett grupparbete med obligatorisk rapportinlämning och avslutningsvis göra en hemtentamen.
Kursen motsvarar ca 10 timmars studier per vecka under hela terminen. Du väljer själv din ambitionsnivå, men om du planerar att genomföra kursen parallellt med att du arbetar 100%, får du räkna med att avsätta kvällar och helger.
Undervisningen sker på svenska, men kurslitteratur, videofilmer och annat material kan vara på engelska.
Du kopplar upp dig via Zoom och din kamera ska vara på under hela lektionen.
Additional course evaluations for TN0346
Academic year 2020/2021Social sustainability of work life, businesses and the society (TN0346-10174) 2020-08-31 - 2021-01-17
Academic year 2019/2020Social sustainability of work life, businesses and the society (TN0346-10276) 2019-09-02 - 2020-01-19
TN0346 Social sustainability of work life, businesses and the society, 7.5 CreditsSocial hållbarhet i arbetsliv, företagande och samhälle
SubjectsAgricultural science Technology
Education cycleFirst cycle
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, entry requirements only from upper secondary school(G1N)
Prior knowledgeThe equivalent of general entrance requirements for higher education studies.
ObjectivesThe overall purpose of this course is to increase your understanding of social sustainability from various perspectives, which includes the perspective of the world-wide society, the social responsibility of enterprises and the need of the individual for a healthy and stimulating place of work. You will also acquire an understanding of the importance of leadership for social sustainability in organizations. You are going to gain an insight in how enterprises can create value both for their business and for the society by working strategically on societal sustainability issues. You will obtain a process based method to plan, carry out and evaluate interventions in organizations, which are value-adding from the perspective of sustainability.
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- explain and specify the meaning of social sustainability as a concept, from an organizational, a societal and a global perspective
- be able to evaluate and improve the social sustainability in the production process and in the supply chains of an enterprise
- reflect upon various aspects on the theme leadership and organization in relation to increased social sustainability in organizations
- follow a systematic procedure to plan, conduct and evaluate an intervention aimed at increasing the social sustainability of an organization
- explain and exemplify how an enterprise can work strategically for social sustainability by finding business solutions that also improve societal challenges
- reflect upon your own professional role in the endeavor towards an improved social sustainability in business and in the society
ContentThe course use various modes of education in order to promote teacher facilitated learning, student centered activities as well as discussions, by lectures, seminars, excercises in groups and individually, supported by an interactive learning platform. The students conduct an extensive group work in cooperation with an organization. The teaching is mainly on-line but one or two compulsory days are situated at the campus of SLU in Alnarp.
The course comprises of both theoretical parts and elements of practice on the subject of social sustainability, and discuss concepts like sustainable leadership, organization, psychosocial working environment, global development, social responsibility of business, theories of social change and global justice.
Formats and requirements for examinationThe course will be examined in terms of a written home exam, exercises and seminars. To obtain the course credits, approved participation in all seminars, approved project presentation and approved exercises will be required.
The project work presentation is compulsory, attending the course introduction at campus is compulsory for obtaining course credits.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.