Basic course Food Science
The course evaluation is not yet activatedThe course evaluation is open between 2021-09-22 and 2021-10-13
LV0117 Basic course Food Science, 7.5 CreditsGrundkurs - Livsmedelsvetenskap
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, entry requirements only from upper secondary school(G1N)
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to general entry requirements and specific entry requirements according to field-specific entry requirements 14: Biology B, Physics A, Chemistry B, Mathematics D or field-specific entry requirements A11: Biology 2, Physics 1a or Physics 1b1+1b2, Chemistry 2, Mathematics 4. Furthermore, weighted courses according to respective field-specific entry requirements apply.
ObjectivesThe aim of the course is to give an introduction to the programme, an overview of the professional role of food scientists and an understanding of the significance of natural resources for society. Furthermore, the course should give an insight to current research within food science and specialisation in food-related subjects. The course also intends to introduce the student to higher education and to practise general skills as for instance written and oral presentation.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- describe at a general level the use of natural resources and their importance in the society
- in general terms account for the production and composition of the most important food raw materials
- describe the most common methods for food processing
- describe the role of food for humans (sociological and physiological)
- search for and critically evaluate relevant literature and communicate information in writing as well as orally
ContentThe course consists of a mixture of lectures, seminars, individual work and group assignments. Through lectures by researchers and invited experts, as well as study visits, the student is offered a broad overview of the all parts of the food sector and of the possible job market for food scientists. Seminars and project work give the student possibility to specialisation in parts of the course as well as training in general skills. In the course, compulsory components are included like various types of written assignments and presentations of project work.
The following fields are treated during the course:
- introduction to higher education with components as study technique, information retrieval, communication and presentation technique
- introduction to ethical argumentation and sustainable natural resources exploitation
- foodstuff from the perspective of the research, public authorities, the food industry and the consumer
- the food production chains from primary production to consumption
- the chemical composition and properties of the food raw materials
Formats and requirements for examinationPassed oral and written presentations of project work and approved participation in compulsory components.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Molecular Sciences
Betygskriterier LV0117 Grundkurs - Livsmedelsvetenskap, 7.5 hp
Betygsskala: Godkänd / Icke godkänd
Kursmål och betygskriterier
För betyget godkänd ska studenten kunna:
1. beskriva nyttjande av naturresurser och deras betydelse i samhällets i alla led
2. redogöra för de viktigaste livsmedelsråvarornas produktion och sammansättning
3. beskriva de vanligaste förädlingsvägar och – processer inom livsmedelsindustrin
4. redogöra för de viktigaste regler och riktlinjer för märkning av livsmedel
5. söka och kritiskt bearbeta litteratur
6. förmedla information i skrift och tal
7. aktivt delta i obligatoriska moment