International on-site postgraduate course in the Last Wilderness of Boreal Europe and under the Midnight Sun.
The Graduate School for Production Ecology & Resource Conservation
(PE&RC) together with the Euro League for Life Sciences (ELLS), is organising a new on-site postgraduate course on "Conflicting Demands in European Forests, a wicked problem"?
The course is organised in collaboration with a number of European Universities, of which SLU is one.
The course will take place in one of the last wilderness areas of Boreal Europe, a UNESCO World Heritage Site named "Laponia", around the town of Gällivare in Northern Sweden.
The course will run from Sunday 24 June till Monday 2 July 2018, which implies that we will be experiencing the Midnight Sun during the course!
The course is open for both PhD candidates and postdocs.
Preliminary lecture topics
- General lecture about conflicting demands (in forestry)
- General framework lecture about the trade-offs in forests. Forests can't deliver everything at the same time
- Forest/Land as a resource
- Future perspectives in the forest sector
- Governance lecture – decision-making processes
- Management aspects: should we manage for biodiversity? / Natural nature
- Economical perspectives
- Social perspectives
- Lecture on participatory research – decision-making tools (wicked problems / companion modelling)
- Prof. Tomas Lundmark, Department of Forest Ecology and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden
- Prof. Gert-Jan Nabuurs, Forest Ecology & Management, Wageningen University & Research, the Netherlands
- Prof. Frits Mohren, Forest Ecology & Management, Wageningen University & Research, the Netherlands
- Prof. Bo Jellesmark Thorsen, Department of Food and Resource Economics (IFRO), University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Prof. Hubert Hasenauer, Department of Forest- and Soil Sciences, BOKU - University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Austria
- Prof. Michal Zasada, Laboratory of Dendrometry and Forest Productivity, Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW, Poland
- Dr Lennart Suselbeek, PhD Programme Coordinator, The Graduate School PE&RC, Wageningen University & Research, the Netherlands
For more information and to register your participation in this course, please go to www.pe-rc.nl/european-forestry and enter your details at the bottom of the page.