Frequently asked questions

Last changed: 08 June 2016

Got any questions about studying with a disability at SLU? You might find the answer here! Please get in touch if you are not sure what applies to you!



What disabilities can you get support for?

There are many different disabilities that may mean you need support with your studies. Contact the coordinator/contact person if you are in any doubt. Some examples are:

  • Difficulty reading and writing/dyslexia
  • Impaired vision or hearing
  • Restricted movement
  • Mental illness, such as depression, bipolar disorder, panic disorder
  • Neuropsychiatric disabilities, such as ADHD or Asperger’s syndrome
  • Chronic illnesses that affect you studies

I have a permanent disability. What support can I get from SLU?

Contact our coordinator or one of our contact persons to find out what kind of support you may need. This is assessed on an individual basis. Examples of kinds of support include:

Who do I contact at the university to get support?

If you require support, you will need to apply for it. Find out more on the page How to apply for educational support.

I have dyslexia but I have never been assessed. What should I do?

If you allow a speech therapist or dyslexia specialist to assess you, you may gain valuable information about your dyslexia which may help you to use your strengths and find the right help for you. You will also need to undergo an assessment in order to be able to apply for support. You should contact either your county council or a private speech therapist for an assessment. Contact the coordinator/contact person for more information. 

How do I show my study programme that I am entitled to support?

When you apply for support you will be given a certificate that you can show to the relevant teachers in your area. Teachers or others who have any questions are welcome to contact us. The information we hold about you is covered by an obligation of confidentiality. No information about you or your needs will be given to anyone unless you have agreed otherwise with the coordinator/contact person. It is up to you as a student to tell people about your requirements!

How long does the decision on what support I get last?

The decision lasts for the entire time you are a student at SLU. There is no time limit.

If I have a decision on entitlement to educational support, does the teacher have to adapt the examination to my needs?

No, it is not quite that simple. The teacher is responsible for ensuring that the examination is the same for all and he/she is therefore the one who decides what is possible. However, we are often able to agree on individual solutions that work for both the student with a disability and the examiner.  

I find it difficult to write good text. Can I get help?

You can get help on this from your supervisor. In some cases, you can get extra supervision as special educational support when you are writing your independent project. With regard to language, it is important that you learn to use the special computer programs that are available on the student computers, such as spell-checker software and speech synthesis for listening to your text. These are tools that will be useful to you both during your education and when you start work. In some cases, you can get special language supervision when you are writing your independent project. Ask your contact person about this.

If you are unsure about how much help you are allowed from others on your course and from friends, you should talk to your supervisor. An independent project must be written independently, otherwise you run the risk of cheating or getting a lower grade.

I feel that things are not going well and nothing seems to work for me. Who can I talk to?

Asking for help is a good first step. If you need educational adjustments to your studies, you should talk to the coordinator/contact person. If you want to discuss your choice of studies and thoughts about your future career,SLU:s study and career advisers can be a good sounding board. For other issues, you may get better help from the Student Health Centre or the University Chaplaincy/Student chaplains. Your health centre can also put you in touch with doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists and other professional groups.

I think I have dyslexia. How do you know if you do?

For a complete assessment, contact a speech therapist or dyslexia specialist. Common signs of dyslexia are that you

  • read slowly and reading requires a lot of energy
  • have difficulty understanding the meaning of the words and text
  • rearrange letters and read particles and endings wrong
  • confuse letters that look and sound alike, such as b-d, b-p, t-d, k-g, u-o
  • are unsure about spelling and double letters in particular
  • find it difficult reading text in the TV guide
  • mix up numbers and have difficulty interpreting mathematical symbols
  • perhaps do not speak clearly
  • have handwriting that is difficult to read
  • find it difficult to concentrate



Study with disabilities

Ask us about: studying with disabilities that might affect your studies and how you apply for student disability support.

Page editor: