Questions and answers

Last changed: 01 March 2023
Thick question mark written with white chalk on blackboard. Photo.

Do you have any questions about studying with a disability at SLU? Maybe you can find your answer here. Please get in touch if you are unsure about what applies to you.

How do I show my teacher I am entitled to support?

Email or show the course coordinator your Nais decision. This shows that you have been granted support and what adaptations the coordinator has recommended.

How long is the decision for the support I have received valid?

The decision for study support and recommendations for adaptations are limited. The validity period is stated in your Nais decision.

When your decision for study support is about to expire, you will receive a reminder email from Nais. Contact your coordinator for a renewal application. If your Nais decision has expired and you still need support, you can submit a new application.

I am unwell and feel that nothing is working for me. Who can I turn to?

  • If you need pedagogical adaptations to be made to the studies, contact the coordinator/contact person on your campus.
  • Would you like to discuss your current situation and how it is affecting your studies, or plans for your future career? The SLU study and career counsellors might be a good sounding board.
  • You can also contact Student Health Services or the University Chapel/Student Priests.
  • You can also use your primary healthcare centre to contact doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists and other professionals.

I think I have dyslexia. How do I find out if I do?

Dyslexia is a specific reading and writing disorder. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Approximately eight per cent of Sweden’s population are reported to have reading and writing difficulties. These problems often run in the family.

Common signs of dyslexia:

  • you read slowly and reading requires a lot of energy
  • you have trouble understanding the content of words and text
  • you mix up letters and read shorter words or endings incorrectly
  • you confuse letters that look and sound the same, e.g., b-d, b-p, t-d, k-g, u-o
  • you are unsure of spelling, particularly double vowels or consonants
  • you find it difficult to read all the text on the TV screen
  • you find it difficult to structure your writing
  • you struggle to remember and repeat sequences (the alphabet, multiplication tables, the order of months or weekdays)
  • you find it difficult to quickly find the right word when you talk.
  • You can receive a great deal of support for dyslexia without a certificate, however to be given extended time on examinations, you need a certificate from an assessment.

How can I be assessed for dyslexia?

Please contact the coordinator of study support for students with disabilities to discuss possible ways for you to be assessed for dyslexia. Contact us

I find it difficult to write a good text. Can I get help?

  • You can get help with your subject from your supervisor. In some circumstances, you may receive extra supervision as part of learning support when you conduct your independent project (bachelor’s project and degree project). Talk to the coordinator/contact person about this.
  • Regarding language, it is important that you learn how to use the special computer programs available on the student computers, such as the spelling program and speech synthesis for listening to your text. These are tools you will benefit from both during your studies and once you start work.
  • Language Support Tutorials provide support for larger and smaller written assignments. Focus is placed on structure, language and the writing process.

If you are unsure about how much help you can receive from coursemates and friends, discuss this with your supervisor. An independent project must be written independently. Otherwise you risk being awarded a lower grade or that it will be classed as cheating.


Study with disabilities

If you have questions about studying with disabilities that might affect your studies and how to apply for study support, contact us at

You can read more about studying with disabilities on the student web.