Agriculture - Junior Investment Analyst & Project Manager
Southberg Holdings ltd is a London based investment company focused on the agricultural sector. We see a commercial opportunity in producing high value crops and commodities in a long-term perspective, using innovative and sustainable systems. The global population is predicted to grow to almost 10 billion by 2050, which, together with rising living standards, will boost agricultural demand and increase pressure on natural resources such as fresh water and fertile soils. Our focus is on creating value through generating superior yields of high-quality products, while preserving our soils and making optimal use of water resources in favourable climates.
We have a buy-and-build strategy, growing commodity crops and permanent crops in different countries and climates. This requires a long-term perspective on the global market dynamics of each specific crop. At the same time, it requires a thorough understanding of the technical, agronomic aspects related to these crops (soil, water, radiation). We research and analyse the market and economic aspects as well as the technical agricultural aspects in depth to support our investment decisions. When we do not have the knowledge in-house, we work with experts and first-class research institutions such as Wageningen University and the University of California, Davis, to assist us in better understanding the complex environment in which we operate.
Our current projects include the development of intensive certified organic crops (walnuts, pecans, wool) on 5,500 hectares in South America and the production of commodity crops (wheat, barley, soya, sunflower) on 8,000 hectares in Eastern Europe. We continuously evaluate new long-term opportunities.
We are looking for someone to join our team in central London who can grow into the role of identifying, analysing and project managing these buy-and-build investments
- Affinity with the agricultural sector, with a university degree (BSc, BEng, MSc, MEng or PhD) in agriculture, biology, plant sciences, forestry, natural sciences, soil sciences, hydrology, or other degrees related to the environmental sciences or food sector.
- Interest in building a long-term career in the agricultural sector.
- Excellent analytical and project management skills.
- Financial modelling (a background in this is not required).
- Able to operate autonomously with a broad variety of tasks and to structure a project. Tasks range from technical research (e.g. water, soils and plant varieties) and financial modelling to market analysis and project management.
- Curious and eager to learn.
- Willing to work in London with a small team of people.
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
- Previous work experience is not a requirement, maximum 3 years
- Willingness to travel.
Email your CV and cover letter to our office manager: firstname.lastname@example.org