The application round in the autumn semester 2022 is cancelled, due to the government's reduction of the aid budget this year. Information about eventual future scholarship application rounds is expected later on.
SLU gladly accepts applications from external students from other universities in Sweden, as long as the proposed field study falls somewhere within SLUs competence areas. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions about external applications.
In your application, you need to upload the following documents:
- Project description, instructions further down on this page
- Welcome letter from the contact person in the field
- Written confirmation from your Swedish supervisor
- Copy of your passport (or permanent residence permit, or Nordic passport AND proof of residence)
The MFS-field study must take place over 8 consecutive weeks (at least 56 days). The decision about whether you receive the scholarship is announced within one month from the application deadline.
Application round autumn 2022 is cancelled
The Swedish council for Higher Education (UHR) announces that the autumn application round for MFS scholarships will be cancelled. This means that SLU and other higher education institutions in Sweden can not announce MFS scholarships to students from the autumn of 2022. Read more about the descision here.
You can apply one year, or one semester prior to the planned field trip.
The online application works best in the web-browser Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. You should use your student e-mail address when you fill in the form. Note that the application cannot be edited once you have clicked 'Submit!'
The MFS-scholarship is a fixed amount of SEK 27 000 and is a travel scholarship designed to cover your expenses during your MFS-period. The amount is not intended to cover everything, but it normally needs to be supplemented with student loans, for example. You do not need to account for your costs, although you will be required to upload flight tickets and boarding cards in the MFS portal. If two or three students apply together, each person receives their own scholarship.
Selection and notification
SLU has a university-wide assessment committee for MFS applications who determines which students will be granted an MFS scholarship.
About a month after the time of application, you will be notified as to whether you have been granted an MFS scholarship. You will be required to attend a MFS preparatory course, book your flights and receive important documents, such as insurance certificate etc, prior to your departure.
- Student UT insurance agreement
- Instructions in English for the supervisor in Sweden and the contact person in the host country
- Instructions on what you should include in your project description, welcome letter from your contact person i the field, and the certificate from your supervisor in Sweden
Information about degree projects
- Information about degree projects, including FAQ, guidelines and support.