Insurance for foreign students who are not exchange students

Last changed: 03 January 2018
Man and woman, seemingly of African and European backgrounds, laugh at a seminar. Photo.

If you are a foreign student who is not an exchange student you are covered by the insurances GIF and FAS+.

How do I know if I am considered to be an exchange student?

If you are a foreign student or doctoral student who is covered by personal injury insurance for students but not covered by Student IN, SLU has arranged government group insurance and personal insurance, GIF (in Swedish).

If you pay fees to study at SLU, either yourself or through a scholarship, you are covered by personal injury insurance for students and by the insurance for fee-paying students, FAS+ (in Swedish).

Both GIF and FAS+ apply throughout the Schengen area and include, for example:

  • accident cover
  • healthcare and dental care cover
  • liability cover and legal expences cover

On the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency website you can read the full terms and conditions of insurance for GIF (in Swedish) and FAS+ (in Swedish).

More information about how to make an injury report.


Study and career guidance

You can ask the study and career counsellors about the courses and programmes at SLU and which ones might be right for you. We can also help you towards achieving your future goals, with your study environment, and discuss your career opportunities after graduation.

You may be able to find the answers to your questions about the university and our programmes on the frequently asked questions page about studies at SLU.

Book an appointment
Call or email us to schedule an appointment. We also offer guidance via telephone or online meetings.


+46 18 67 28 00 

Telephone hours:
Monday 10:00–12:00
Tuesday 10:00–12:00
Thursday 13:00–15:00